Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Review: Girls in White Dresses



Just Started: Girls in White Dresses, by Jennifer Close. I'm currently about  to attend  7 weddings from July 4th 2011, ending with my own in Sept. 2012. I need a break from "skinny reading" and based on this review -"Wickedly hilarious and utterly recognizable, Girls in White Dresses tells the story of three women grappling with heartbreak and career change, family pressure and new love—all while suffering through an endless round of weddings and bridal showers." This book sounded like just the ticket to give me a little comic relief from the large array of happy celebrations, i'm about to attend. 

Just Finished: Girls in White Dresses is breezier book than most, a light chronicle of a group of recent Boston College grads whose ambitions seem to hinge largely on finding a decent guy and a doorman building without a rodent problem. If the stakes seem low, they are. And too often the characters are indistinguishable from one another; they all tend to say sitcom-witty things like ''I've been out to eat with boys that were my boyfriend, but that's not dating. That's just parallel eating.'' I found this extremely trite.

The friendships between several of the characters sounded true to life...sarcastic but loving, snarky but truthful...and that was good to read. It is the way a lot of women actually relate to their good friends. However, the book just drug on and on and on.... I kept waiting for something really exciting to happen but it never did.  I would not go out of my way to read this one, but if you need a little mindless reading for a few hours go for this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment